Tips for Visiting Halloween Horror Nights Hollywood
We’ve compiled our top tips for visiting Universal Studios Hollywood’s Halloween Horror Nights to ensure you maximize your time at the event and get the most out of your night.
Avoiding the Lines
- Use our FREE Halloween Horror Nights crowd level indicator to determine which night(s) is/are best for your trip.
- Use our FREE Halloween Horror Nights touring plan and resources to get the most out of your night.
- Download the official Universal Studios Hollywood mobile application on the App Store or Google Play Store to view wait times for houses at the event. You can use the app to easily view which houses have short lines and long lines. You can use this information to decide which houses to experience.
- Arrive early. If you didn’t purchase early entry to the event, you should get to the park turnstiles by at least 5:00 PM. You won’t be permitted into the park yet, but you’ll be closer to the entry, allowing you to get a head start on other guests. Keep in mind that it may take up to an hour and a half to arrive at the front gates from the parking booth.
- Purchase an early access ticket for Halloween Horror Nights, if available. It may be more affordable than you realize, and you’ll have the opportunity to experience select haunted houses before the event officially begins.
- Stay until the event ends. Lines for some houses tend to get shorter later in the night.
- If your budget allows for higher costs, we highly advise purchasing an Express pass for the event to drastically reduce your time in lines. It should be noted that unless you purchase an Express Unlimited pass, you are only permitted to use the Express pass once per house. Due to this, we suggest using the regular line if the posted wait time is below 30 minutes and you are interested in revisiting the house. You can then use the Express line afterward when the regular line has a longer wait time.
- Select annual passes are eligible for discounts at various stores and dining locations throughout Universal. If your pass offers such discounts, simply show your card at a participating location.
- Don’t purchase water. Rather, bring an empty bottle and enjoy free refills at Coca-Cola Freestyle machines and select dining locations located throughout the park.
- If you plan to have soft drinks, consider purchasing a Coca-Cola Freestyle cup at select stores and dining locations throughout Universal Studios Hollywood. With an activated Coca-Cola Freestyle cup, you can enjoy refills for an entire day. Afterward, your cup can be reactivated for a fee to receive additional refills.
- Eat a meal either in the CityWalk complex or at a nearby dining location off-site. You’ll not only be able to maximize your time at the event, but you may also save money for higher-quality food.
Getting Through the Night
- Try to limit the number of items you bring to the park. It can be a hassle to carry a lot of items all night long, and it’s inconvenient when trying to navigate your way around the park and in the houses.
- Dress comfortably for the night. Be sure that the shoes you’re wearing provide enough cushion and aren’t tight.
- Take a nap before heading to the event if you’re not usually active late in the night. This will help you feel more relaxed.
- Take short breaks at the park. Walking and standing all night long can be tiring, so sitting down and stretching can help relieve the discomfort you may have. You can choose to take a break at a scare zone so that you’re still immersed in the Halloween Horror Nights experience.
- Drink cool beverages throughout the night to stay hydrated. You can take advantage of free cups of water at any dining location.
Experiencing the Houses
- When visiting houses before dusk, wear sunglasses. This will help darken the environment in houses that are situated in tents.
- Be on the lookout for any red buttons or other interactive elements inside the houses. If they’re pressed, you can experience a special surprise.